The concept of ebook, also referred to as e-book, refers to the English expression electronic book: that is, electronic book. A book is a literary, scientific, or other work that is constituted as a volume. The electronic, on the other hand, refers to the action of the electrons when they are subjected to the influence of an electronic or magnetic field.
The idea of an ebook, in this framework, refers to the text that is presented in a digital format and that is analogous to the printed book. Sometimes the notion also allows us to mention the device used to read and store this kind of book.
While a printed book is developed on paper, the ebook houses its content in bits. The reader, therefore, should not turn pages to advance the reading, but the material is viewed from a screen.
Although it depends on its format, an ebook can be read on any device that has a screen: a computer (computer), a tablet, a cell or mobile phone, etc. Anyway, there are devices designed specifically for reading ebooks, such as the Amazon Kindle and the Sony Reader.
In the comparison between an ebook and a printed book, the advantages and disadvantages of both elements can be mentioned. An ebook does not take up physical space, avoids cutting down trees since it does not use paper, it is simple to transfer and allows the inclusion of multimedia links.
Also Read: How To Use Commercial Intelligence To Get More Business
In addition to these advantages, we cannot fail to highlight others such as the following:
- Hundreds of books can be included in the same device.
- The price of an electronic book is cheaper than a paper one.
- There are no out-of-print editions of the ebook versions, they will always be available.
- There are models that are specially designed for people with visual impairments.
- The purchase and receipt of an electronic book is practically immediate.
- Many ebook models are illuminated so that they can be read even in the dark or in low light conditions without making the view suffer.
In return, it facilitates the illegal copying and distribution of works and requires electrical energy for their reading.
In the same way, we cannot ignore that it is also established that the ebook has other disadvantages, among which the following stand out:
- Its acquisition requires a higher financial outlay than buying a book.
- It depends on a battery, so if it runs out, the ebook will turn off and it cannot be used until it is recharged or connected to the electric current.
- It requires having minimal technical knowledge to be able to use it and get the most out of it.
- There are old books that have not yet been digitized and, therefore, cannot be had to read in the ebook.
- Those who see it as a disadvantage consider that when any ebook becomes a waste it will become a device that will generate emissions that are harmful to the environment.
Also Read: RPA And The Digital Transformation Of The Employee