Flexitime in companies has multiple benefits: it increases worker productivity, prevents brain drain and improves the work environment.
Many organizations have found that workers increasingly demand new labor policies based on flexible hours and the job position. Gone are the requests for economic or monetary incentives by employees, salary increases or a greater number of variables depending on the objectives met. Now, to retain talent, organizations are turning to workplace flexibility and flextime-based measures.
Table of Contents
What is flexible hours
Flexibility at work consists of adapting the day to the needs of the employee so that he can reconcile his family life with work. Usually, companies have implemented it by being flexible with the time of entry and exit , marking two options, but organizing the day between a specific time slot. For example, they can allow entry from 8 to 9 in the morning and leave from 17 to 18 hours.
The reduction of working hours and the more flexible organization of working time , measures that were applied during the covid-19 crisis, can benefit economies, companies and workers and lay the foundations for a better and more healthy balance between work and private life.
This is clear from the new report by the International Labor Organization (ILO) Working Time and Work-Life Balance Around the World -Working time and the balance between work and private life in the world-, which examines the two main aspects of working time: working hours and the organization of working time -also called working hours- and their effects on the performance of companies and the balance between work and private life of people.
Flexible schedule modalities
We can talk about three different types of flexible hours in companies:
- Fixed-variable schedule : it is when the company offers different schedules to the worker so that he can choose. Once chosen, it becomes a mandatory schedule.
- Floating hours : where the employee chooses the time to enter his job within a range of hours that the company previously sets and where he must maintain at least the hours that his workday marks.
- Free hours: when the employee freely manages his working hours as long as the objectives that the company expects of him are met.
5 Advantages of flexible hours
- Increases employee satisfaction with the entity.
- Improves the work environment.
- Flexible hours increase productivity.
- Minimize the brain drain.
- Reduces cases of absenteeism.