The current situation of confinement at home has opened the doors to a working method that is not as exceptional as it is perceived. Although, although it is true that some companies have been practicing it for a long time, currently many of the others have been forced to implement it due to the quarantine. In Communication Diffusion we have been practicing it since the state of alarm was decreed and it is working for us. This is why, from our experience, we want to provide advice so that teleworking is a viable and bearable option for all professionals who are performing it or are considering doing so.
Telecommuting tips, stay efficient from home
- Take it as seriously as face-to-face work: Our brain can give us negative signals, and more, if we have never worked from home, that makes you settle down and take away responsibility. Send positive and responsible stimuli so as not to fall into the feeling of carelessness.
- Create strict habits and schedules: Just like when we go to work in person, create your daily routine. Have breakfast, shower and dress as if you were going to the office. This will make your mind change and you can focus quickly.
- Adapt your work space: It is important that you have a large table, as empty as possible (only with what is necessary for your work), a light that does not disturb and avoid distracting elements. If you have a personal space just for work, it would be ideal if you adapted it that way.
- Plan tasks: Set daily goals, plan them and meet them. If we don’t do it this way, we can make the mistake of seeing all our tasks accumulated and giving us the feeling that we won’t have time to finish everything, or even not knowing where to start and wasting time deciding.
- Have your own work email and phone: This will help you avoid personal contact methods during work hours and focus better. In addition, it will help you unwind when your workday is over.
- Keep in touch with your companions: If you are used to interacting with them, it is very likely that you will miss the new situation. But don’t let that stop you from keeping in touch. Whether through instant messaging services or by call, it is important to maintain contact with your colleagues at work or at a leisure level, as you would during office breaks.
- Do not lead a sedentary life: Believe it or not, not taking care of your eating habits or not moving directly affects your performance at work. You must bear in mind that a healthy body entails a healthy mind.
- Take small breaks to eat or stretch: If we remain absorbed in work for a long time, we can become saturated and lose productivity and interest in it. It is important to set small breaks on a regular basis so as not to fall into stress.
- Have the support of those who live with us: You must not only live with yourself, but being at home, you must share space with your family, partner or colleagues. You must have good communication and make it clear that you are working, in order to reach agreements of respect, especially if you live with children.
- Empathy. Put yourself in the place of your employees, bosses and colleagues: Whatever role you have in the company, understand the situation of each of your colleagues. Now more than ever, you must be united and support each other on a psychological level. This applies to any situation, but especially in this state, understand that they may be having a bad day, be under pressure to manage customer crises, or just need a little adjustment. Empathize, but also keep productivity in mind and don’t forget about hierarchies. This is one of the points that we tend to forget about, but in such a scenario, it becomes essential.
Remote work from home has advantages and disadvantages , and it is important to know how to manage it correctly to continue with the productivity that we had when we went to the office. The most important thing is not to lose the routine , to be a little more flexible and to respect your work . We encourage companies that still doubt this to contribute their grain of sand and trust in a form of employment that allows workers and managers to stay at home. Only united can we overcome the situation.