Whether you have just been promoted to a position of management of a company, regardless of the industry in which it was based, or else you have grand aspirations of becoming a manager in the future, then you have most definitely come to the right place.
Here for your information, are the top seven most important skills required to become a successful business manager.
1. Natural Confidence
It is not accurate to say that if you are naturally a shy and introverted person, you will never make it as a successful business manager.
However, just as a parent has to remain strong in the face of adversity for their children, a good manager should always appear confident, even if, in reality, they are worried. There is a wide range of ways to work towards building your own levels of confidence, including:
- Never place undue pressure on yourself; nobody is perfect
- Look for friends or family members who build you up in a positive way
- Celebrate your achievements, however small
- Expand on your natural levels of confidence
- Actively seek constructive and honest feedback
- Dress for the role you are in. Power dressing is real and can be effective
- Trust your natural instincts
- Ask questions if you need to, and don’t keep such queries to yourself
2. Strong Listening Skills
When it comes to communication skills, it is certainly not all about how you talk to potential clients, customers, and your employees, and in actual fact, it is far more important to concentrate on listening instead.
Paying attention to individual members of your workforce’s queries, problems and issues, however and small and irrelevant you secretly consider them to be, is absolutely imperative, and not only will it make your employees feel valued and trusted, but it will also make you more aware of what is happening ‘on the ground’.
3. Embrace Your Creative Side
No matter how many books you have read claiming to be a fountain of all knowledge when it comes to business management, a natural flair for creativity and an innate ability to roll with the proverbial punches is absolutely essential.
Creativity at work, especially in a management position, will greatly enhance your ability to be flexible, and creativity can be improved upon in the following ways:
- Make time and space for your creativity in your busy working schedule
- Become someone who collects and stores ideas for a later date
- Choose somewhere to work that makes you feel energized and content
- Invest in new stationery and other equipment to inspire your creative juices
- Become aware of the certain elements which spark creative thought
4. An Overarching Knowledge of All Key Departments
There is no possible way that a successful business manager becomes just that, successful when they have no knowledge of the individual cogs of the proverbial machine, and this is why some of the best managers have worked their way up from pot-washer to management over a number of years.
One brilliant and proven-to-be effective way of gaining a more rounded and intensely in-depth understanding of each and every component involved in a business is to embark upon a challenging yet incredibly rewarding masters in business management online.
5. Work on Your Levels of Empathy
Over the past decade or so and more specifically after the fallout from the outbreak of the worldwide coronavirus in early 2020, employers are often seeking potential employees who can express and possess high levels of empathy.
An empathic manager is one who is connected to their employees on a professional level as well as on an appropriate yet personal level as well and makes for more satisfied and motivated employees.
Ways to increase your personal levels of empathy before applying for a management position include the following:
- Start to examine people’s facial expressions at work
- Take an acting class or two
- Practice proper listening
- Avoid polarization of both individuals and groups
- Always try to view a situation from a self-construal perspective
6. Time Management
Time management is an essential skill that is not only required to be a productive and successful business manager but also for anyone involved in the world of business.
As well as assisting with a smooth-running and efficient working day, good time management skills also provide a wealth of other advantages:
- More time to think and to plan to reach your goals
- A much-increased level of energy
- Improved levels of focus and concentration
- Decreased levels of distraction
- A way to make things easier and simpler
7. Networking Skills
Finally, but importantly, one of the most specialized and incredibly beneficial skills to have as a potential or indeed working professional business manager is networking.
Possessing the right kind of networking skills is a huge benefit and provides a myriad of advantages to not only your company and your professional working life but also your personal one as well. Essentially, business networking is one of the principal business strategies and should be afforded adequate preparation and organizing ahead of a networking event.
There are several key things to note when wanting to enhance your knowledge around and your skills involved with business networking, including the following:
- Build relationships based on trust and mutual interests, and appreciation
- Be as honest and open as possible when you are talking to a group or to an individual
- Dress in smart but casual attire; not too formal and not too informal
- Keep a set of business cards subtly in a pocket or purse should you feel as if you have bonded enough with someone to swop cards
When planning your next networking event, it would help to ask yourself the following questions:
- Is this particular networking event something that is likely to further your career and/or your company?
- What would a successful networking experience look like for you?
- What main thing would you like to achieve from a networking event?
- What is the minimum return you would expect from attending the networking event?